Thursday, October 28, 2010

Acadia postcard number 6 - syzygy


At first it looks like a made up word for a Scrabble game, but the definition of syzygy has to do with the "spring tide" when the sun, earth and moon are all lined up.  When this happens there is a large tide.

One of the reasons I wanted to come to Acadia was to try and understand (visually) my fascination with the horizon where the air meets the water at the ocean and the rise and fall of water along the shore.   I studied tides today and learned that the human race has long been intrigued with the tides and the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the large water bodies of the earth.

How do I describe my longing to be near this tidal movement which seems so very essential to our existence?  I've started with multiple images of water and air in varying densities on top of each other, we'll see where it leads.

1 comment:

  1. did you know the great lakes have a tide? it is small, but perhaps you'll need to come out and record it one of these days....

    sus

    ReplyDelete